£260 + VAT
£235 + VAT (TRADA members)
Duration – One day
This course looks at the fundamentals of timber frame construction from an engineering perspective and should help engineers and designers involved in the industry to gain an in-depth understanding of how these systems work. The day starts with an introduction to the concept of timber frame, identifying various components of construction, design detailing and best practice guidance on how these components should correctly merge to give a trouble free building. The afternoon session builds on this with engineering input and design examples to support the concepts discussed. View our timber frame training brochure for more details of this and other timber frame training courses.
Timber Frame for Engineers course
You should attend this course if you are:
- An engineer
- A timber frame designer
- An architect
- Types of timber construction – timber frame, SIPs, engineered timber (CLT and GLT)
- Methods of construction – open panel, closed panel, volumetric
- System components/element build-ups – studs, rails, OSB, insulation, SIP etc
- Differential movement – what it is, issues with structural design
- Manufacture of elements – SE specifications for fixings, element sizes etc
- Connection details – methods of connecting and joining panels and other elements together
- Principles of timber engineering
- Guidance on standards (British and European)
- Timber and related materials, product characteristics
- Fasteners and connections, standards, guidance and pointers
- Design examples
Course dates in 2019
- 29 November - BM TRADA, High Wycombe
BM TRADA provides a range of training courses. Our training portfolio includes timber, fire, management systems, chain of custody, sustainable supply chain and business training.
Download our Training Booking Form.
Download our current Training Course Directory to discover more about our wide range on offer.
Articles and Blogs
Access our library of technical articles and blogs to help you better understand our services and how we can help you.