£715 + VAT
£645 + VAT (TRADA members)
Duration - Three days
A practical three day course to grade hardwood to the visual strength grades set out in BS 5756: 2007+A1:2011 'Specification for visual grading of hardwood'.
Visual Strength Grading - Hardwoods course
You should attend this course if you:
- Are involved in the selection and supply of hardwood for structural use
Through classroom based interactive learning, practical days spent in the timber yard and a practical examination, this course will provide delegates with:
- An introduction to timber, including the uses of strength graded timber
- The meaning of strength classes, an explanation of strength grading and the
- Marking systems
- An understanding of the responsibilities of the grader and the grading company
- An introduction to the natural growth characteristics of wood using hand held samples
- Practical exercises grading lengths of hardwood timber
The course also includes:
- Practical exercises
- A written test
During the course, 3m lengths of timber will be handled on a daily basis. Please ensure all delegates bring suitable clothing such as Hi-Vis vest/jacket and protective safety/footwear. Delegates must also be aware of the correct manual handling techniques.
Course dates in 2019
- 6 - 8 November - Horse Trust, Speen
BM TRADA provides a range of training courses. Our training portfolio includes timber, fire, management systems, chain of custody, sustainable supply chain and business training.
Download our Training Booking Form.
Download our current Training Course Directory to discover more about our wide range on offer.
Articles and Blogs
Access our library of technical articles and blogs to help you better understand our services and how we can help you.