Visual Strength Grading - Temperate Hardwoods training course
A practical three day course to grade hardwood to the visual strength grades set out in BS 5756: 2007+A2:2017 'Visual strength grading of temperate hardwood. Specification'.
Through classroom based interactive learning, practical days spent in the timber yard and a practical examination, this course will provide delegates with:
- An introduction to timber, including the uses of strength graded timber
- The meaning of strength classes, an explanation of strength grading and the
- Marking systems
- An understanding of the responsibilities of the grader and the grading company
- An introduction to the natural growth characteristics of wood using hand held samples
- Practical exercises grading lengths of hardwood timber
The course includes:
- Practical exercises
- A written test
You should attend this course if you:
- Are involved in the selection and supply of hardwood for structural use
During the course, 3m lengths of timber will be handled on a daily basis.
Please ensure all delegates bring suitable clothing such as hi-vis vest/jacket and protective safety/footwear.
Delegates must also be aware of the correct manual handling techniques.
Course dates in 2020
- 17 - 19 June - near High Wycombe
- 4 - 6 November - near High Wycombe
Course costs in 2020
£750 + VAT
£675 + VAT (TRADA members)
Duration - Three days
Please note: it is a legal requirement for all structural timber used in the UK to be strength graded, CE marked and stamped in accordance with Annex ZA of BS EN 14081-1. In order to do this, delegates are required to join a certification scheme operated by a Notified Body such as BM TRADA.
BM TRADA provides a range of training courses. Our training portfolio includes timber, fire, management systems, chain of custody, sustainable supply chain and business training.
Download our Training Booking Form.
Download our current Training Course Directory to discover more about our wide range on offer.
Articles and Blogs
Access our library of technical articles and blogs to help you better understand our services and how we can help you.