Timber as a material offers a fantastic opportunity to the wider construction industry. It is low carbon, environmentally friendly, and – if sourced from a sustainably managed forest with FSC or PEFC certification – a renewable resource. As a result, designers and construction professionals prioritising sustainability are increasingly turning towards timber in place of other, more carbon intensive building materials in order to mitigate climate change.
The Fundamentals of Timber webinar series, which first ran 2021–22, is intended as a detailed introduction for professionals within the built environment who are new to the material as well as timber industry staff who cross- and up-sell timber products and services. Attendees will develop a robust understanding of basic timber concepts across eight webinars delivered in May and June.
5 May 2022 · 12:00–13:00 BST
What you need to consider when using and specifying timber with Phil O’Leary, Technical Manager, BM TRADA
- The versatility of wood and its limitations
- Challenges and issues to be considered when using timber in a wide range of applications and environments
- Choice of species through to correctly detailing for the end use
12 May 2022 · 12:00–13:00 BST
Trees and the nature of wood with Lewis Taylor, Senior Timber Frame Consultant, BM TRADA
- What is a tree and how do its growth strategies affect its properties?
- Basic cell structure
- Nomenclature and classification
- What is in a name? E.g. Softwood, hardwood, evergreen, trade name, commercial name, local name
- Timber species – common commercial and not so common
19 May 2022 · 12:00–13:00 BST
Wood and timber properties with Lewis Taylor, Senior Timber Frame Consultant, BM TRADA
- Variability of timber
- Appearance – grain, texture, figure
- Density, reaction wood, juvenile wood, heartwood, sapwood, and how they all affect timber properties
- Timber and wood characteristics
- Toxicity, chemical reaction and corrosive properties in conjunction with other materials
- Timber as a structural product
26 May 2022 · 12:00–13:00 BST
Quality of timber with Phil O’Leary, Technical Manager, BM TRADA
- What do we mean by 'Quality of timber'?
- Difference between appearance grade, visual and strength grading
- Features assessed for grading purposes and how to measure them
- General principle of grading rules. Explanation of commercial grading rules
- Strength grading and strength classes
9 June 2022 · 12:00–13:00 BST
Moisture in timber: Part 1 with Lewis Taylor, Senior Timber Frame Consultant, BM TRADA
- The most important timber issue to understand
- What is green timber or seasoned timber?
- Understanding the amount of water in timber
- Equilibrium Moisture Content (EMC) and Fibre Saturation Point (FSP)
- What does 12% moisture content mean?
- Why and how does the moisture content of timber change?
- Drying of timber and good methods of storing timber
- Shrinkage and movement: are they the same?
16 June 2022 · 12:00–13:00 BST
Moisture in timber: Part 2 with Lewis Taylor, Senior Timber Frame Consultant, BM TRADA
- How much does timber shrink and how does this occur? (This is predictable.)
- Shrinkage and swelling in the different planes of timber
- Movement classifications and how this aids determining the amount of shrinkage
- How can we accommodate shrinkage and swelling?
- Introduction to Use Classes and in-service moisture contents
23 June 2022 · 12:00–13:00 BST
Durability and preservation with Phil O’Leary, Technical Manager, BM TRADA
- Natural durability to fungi, insects and marine borers
- Types of insect and marine borers
- Natural durability classes and service life
- Wood preservation - when to specific and how
- How the length of desired service life is achieved
30 June 2022 · 12:00–13:00 BST
Paints and coatings with Phil O’Leary, Technical Manager, BM TRADA
- The need for coatings
- Weathering of timber
- Types of coatings - Paints, varnishes, stains, floor and deck finishes
- Common faults and how to avoid them
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Other Relevant Timber Events
Fundamentals of Timber
A repeat of BM TRADA’s popular eight-part introductory series, these free webinars will help attendees develop a robust understanding of basic timber concepts.
We are hosting two free timber frame-focused webinars across 2022, led by BM TRADA’s senior timber frame consultants Robin Lancashire and Lewis Taylor.
Structural Timber Engineering
This free five-part series, curated by BM TRADA, focuses on structural timber engineering and covers structural timber products, designing for durability, and timber connections.