What is third party product certification?
It is the process of certifying that a manufacturer of a product, or individuals who are installing or maintaining that product have undergone an appropriate independent appraisal to confirm their compliance with the performance aspects of a specification for a particular product or product range, or its installation or maintenance.
Third party certification is being increasingly specified by architects, contractors, local authorities, building owners and facilities and estates managers. It is a mandatory requirement for Secured by Design and it is also a preferred route for demonstrating performance of fire doors under Approved Document B of the Building Regulations.
To achieve third party certification, a manufacturer and their product will have to undergo a rigorous audit and testing process, ensuring that they have in place documented product specifications, installation instructions, and a factory production control system, all of which integrate with an approved Quality Management Scheme such as ISO 9001. Similarly, an installer or maintainer who is certified under a third party product installation or maintenance scheme, will also be subject to both a rigorous initial vetting process and regular on-going checks to ensure that the quality of their work continues to meet the standards of the scheme.
The benefits of achieving third party product certification
- Helps generate new business for manufacturers, installers and maintainers by enabling them to tender for the increasing number of projects that specify third party certification
- Provides manufacturers with a strong competitive advantage compared to those who are using test evidence alone to demonstrate the performance of their product
- Helps generate repeat business for a manufacturer, installer or maintainer because it enhances their reputation for quality which in turn leads to customer loyalty
- Shows due diligence on the part of the manufacturer, installer or maintainer enabling them to demonstrate that the product will continue to be fit for its intended purpose
- Third party certification is voluntary and as such demonstrates a manufacturer’s, installer’s or maintainer’s commitment to quality
The benefits of specifying third party product certification
- It provides confidence in the manufacturer, installer, or maintainer of a performance critical product
- It provides confidence that the quality of the product, its installation and its on-going maintenance will be consistent at all times
- It helps to reduce the risk of product failure
- It enables the specifier to make a commercially sound investment in performance critical products, their installation and on-going maintenance
BM TRADA Q-Mark
BM TRADA Q-Mark is the brand name applied to the scheme operated by BM TRADA Certification Ltd, one of the UK’s foremost certification bodies with over 35 years’ experience and accredited by UKAS since 1991.
BM TRADA Q-Mark is a quality mark awarded to a manufacturer, installer or maintainer of a product or range of products. The mark identifies the product(s) as having been assessed against specified performance levels through independent accredited tests. It also shows that every product manufactured will offer the same level of performance through integration with an approved Quality Management Scheme. Continuous performance and production are also checked through regular audit testing and inspections.
Why BM TRADA?
- One of the UK’s leading providers of independent third party certification
- BM TRADA Q-Mark is a recognised and widely accepted quality standard
- Independently accredited by United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS)
- Experts in the field of doors, windows, glass and fire resistant products
- Our schemes work to rigorous eligibility and on-going membership criteria
- Audits are conducted by full-time customer specific auditors with a manufacturing background
- We ensure consistency in auditing procedures across multiple manufacturing sites
- Regular factory audits are conducted to ensure consistency in product manufacture
- We undertake regular sample testing to ensure consistency in product quality
- We continuously review our processes to ensure our schemes operate to the highest standards
Useful Links & Documents:
Don't take the risk: Insist on third party certification